Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Commitment

When I drive to work in the morning, I usually listen to Pastor David Jeremiah on CSN (Calvary Satellite Network). This morning Pastor David was sharing all the ups and downs he and his wife have experienced as parents during the past 35 years of their marriage. As he was recounting all the tears he'd shed at different times in his life as a parent, both good and bad, I found myself literally in tears. Although Andrea and I don't have children yet, I pray we would be as committed to our family as Pastor David Jeremiah and his wife have been to theirs. On the flip side, we as the children, need to commit to our parents as well. Ephesians 6:1-3 1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." I know our parents can frustrate the heck out of us at times (believe me I know), but keep in mind that they've made a commitment to us and they're doing their best. We need to acknowledge that and return the favor. Remember, our Lord and Savior has made a commitment to us (his children) and He will never break that commitment. Will you commit to loving your parents and supporting them? It may be difficult at times, but if you grab hold of Jesus with both hands and don't let go, He'll help you through any situation. God Bless You!

In His love,
Keith

6 comments:

RingHeart said...

I really like that, I feel that it is very important to obey our parents because they do know what is best for us. To obey our parents we are obeying the Lord.
And with rebellion, that is the same as not obeying our parents. (Which the Lord hates rebellion 1Sa 15:23)

Anonymous said...

Good stuff.. I need to be reminded of that verse every once in a while... haha

D said...

HURT ME!
yeah deap stuff!
D

The Mysterious Mr. L said...

Nice, obviously by the fact that "honor thy father and mother" is one of the commandments given by God obviously shows how important it is too him.

Andrea said...

Believe it or not guys, I too need to be reminded of this. As my parents age, I'm slowly seeing the changes in our roles. My parents took care of me as a child and now as they age they need my help more and more. It's neat how God brings things full circle. However no matter how old they get, we still need to honor and obey them.

Great post!

Jake said...

It's sooo hard! But it is possible! Through prayer, and a few chats a week with my parents, it's pretty easy to stay within their guidlines.
Jake